Below is a video by Summer Charlesworth entitled, “Why Middle School?”
As a middle years teacher myself, this a great video filled with lots of information about our students.
A note about the video from Summer:
A clip I created with Dacien Hadland to bring about the data and anecdotal research from being a middle school teacher. I have created this with the help of my Middle School students, in their voice.
Some highlights are:
- Students are influenced by everything around them.
- In a digital age, our students are constantly connected to their peers and those around the world through various social media tools and networks.
- Our students are active movers and learners who learn in different ways.
- Our students are growing and changing.
- Students need classrooms that are safe and welcoming and where they are respected.
- Students need a teacher who is a leader.
While many provinces do not have Middle Schools, this video is still relevant to teachers and students throughout Canada and the world.
*Update: February 8 – 2013
Summer has created another video: “Why Middle School Matters”