I came across another video by Angela Maiers which I found on TEDx Talks. “TEDx was created in the spirit of TED’s mission, ‘ideas worth spreading.’ The program is designed to give communities, organizations and individuals the opportunity to stimulate dialogue through TED-like experiences at the local level.” – TEDx.
Angela Maiers is an education and technology consultant from Des Moines, Iowa who shares with us how two words can change a life and her talk is entitled, “You Matter.”
I follow her on Twitter and now after watching this video, I understand the message behind #YouMatter. If you have the time, I would highly recommend watching the presentation.
Here are a few highlights and important messages I took away from the video:
- We were created for significance, yet most of us have the feeling that we don’t matter.
- It is important to tell others that they matter and that you see them as a human being.
- “… the person at work, the person in your neighbourhood, … it could be you sitting there wondering, working and living and learning in a place where they do not feel significant. Where they do not feel like no matter what I do today, no matter how hard I work, no matter what I accomplish, is there anybody in the world that is going to notice me and that going to care that I got up and showed up today?”
- “People that matter know that when they are noticed, when they are valued and when they are depended on.”
- Watch the video to see how Angela inspires students through a notebook and see how they notice those around them, show others that they are significant and watch them be geniuses!